Irene Rubinsky, YT Program Manager
YOUTH AND TEEN CLASSES
Enrollment is open for the 18/19 School Year - Drop-in classes available year-round
2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR
School Year: Sep 10 – Jun 8 (36-weeks; Winter recess: Dec 17-Jan 5)
Days offered: Monday-Thursday, Saturday
Class styles: Combo class, Ballet, Contemporary, Contemporary Jazz, Jazz, Jazz Funk, Hip Hop, Progressions, Tap, Intro to Dance, Dance Jams.
Divisions: Youth (ages 7-10), Teen (ages 11-17)
Yearly Enrollment and Drop-in Classes
Summer Dance (8-10 weeks) includes our Youth Dance Camp and Youth/Teen open-class program
At world famous EDGE Performing Arts Center with L.A.'s best teachers who over the past two decades have developed more working professional dancers than other Los Angeles studios. The EDGE teachers have worked with leading artists such as Christina Aguilera, Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Rhianna, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake. You've seen them on Dancing With the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, Glee, the VMA's, Teen Beach Movie, Academy Awards, Grease Live and many other programs.
36-Week Dance Programs
The 36-week program is from September to June and is designed to provide a strong understanding of dance techniques and improved performance skills through exposure to styles from concert to commercial dance. Courses (classes) are enrolled. Each course (class) on the weekly schedule is held throughout the school year. Create your weekly schedule for the year and let's dance. You can change your schedule throughout the year (see Policies; conditions apply).
Drop-in attendance is available throughout the year when the enrolled class attendance is below the maximum class level.
Master Classes & Workshops
Special master classes with leading L.A. choreographers are offered for an optional additional fee. These classes are held periodically throughout the year and over the summer.
In-Studio Showcases - December, June
We encouraged every dancer to participate in our Winter and Finale In-Studio Showcase. The showcase include a pre-show reception serving appetizers and refreshments. The show is held in Studio 1 that is transformed into our Studio Showcase Theatre. The Winter showcase includes different routines and combinations taught in the classes and Teen Company performs. Some performances combine different classes. The Finale showcase includes class combinations and complete performance numbers. To participate, dancers are required to attend a percentage of classes and rehearsal times. Other conditions may apply.
The showcases provide additional learning experiences, such as working within a group; and the opportunity to show family and friends "their moves" and what they have learned. Admission is free and the show is generally 1-hour in length. Parking is validated.
Teen company is elite training in specialized technique and performance classes, plus rehearsal for original and repertory production numbers that the company will perform throughout the year. It is a higher level of commitment with training in four weekly courses, and a two-hour company class where company members have the opportunity to interact and get more feedback from the best teachers and choreographers in Los Angeles.
We’re serious about training because today’s challenging choreography requires dancers to have a higher level of abilities and strength. This is why company members take a minimum of four classes per week with one class being Ballet, plus Company class. With enrollment and attendance requirements their multi-style training meets our high standard and gives dancers the time needed to build strength and polish their performance abilities.
Yearly performances include our In-Studio Showcase (December, June), the annual EDGE Show (July), and nearby community performances.
NEW CLASSES FOR TEENS
PROGRESSIONS (Beg/Int level) Jazz, ballet and modern technique exercises moving across the floor.
PLUS, TWO 12-WEEK ABSOLUTE-BEGINNING LEVEL COURSES
These courses are designed to assist the absolute-beginning dancer through the basic movements and exercises they will need to enter a beginning level course. Dancers will learn the basics and will move to easy combinations in each class using the steps they learned, adding on to those steps in the next class.
INTO TO DANCE includes Jazz and Ballet basic-beginning techniques, exercises and movement.
BASIC JAMS is a Hip Hop movement class that is taught add-on style. Perfect for absolute-beginning dancers to get familiar with popular steps and get moving throughout the the class.
SCHEDULE September 10, 2018 - June 8, 2019
A level placement evaluation and/or recommendation for level placement may be required.
Youth General and Combo Classes
General level with some experience, beginning to beginning-advanced level.
Youth and Teen: Beginning Level (Absolute-beginner to Beginning-advanced)
Beginning level classes are for Youth and Teen dancers who have not taken class in a particular style or who have had limited training. These classes start with the absolute basics and progress through beginning level.
Steps: Chassé, pas de bourrée, single chaîné, single pirouette, sauté, jeté, shuffles and flaps.
Teen: Level 1 (Beginning-advanced to Intermediate-intermediate)
Level 1 is for dancers who completed a beginning course and have an understanding of beginning level technique. This class progresses from a beginning-intermediate level to an advanced-intermediate level.
Steps: Double pirouette, single-double chaîné, piqué turns, grand jeté, assemblé, double time step, riff walks.
Teen: Level 2 (Intermediate-intermediate to Advanced-advanced)
Level 2 is for dancers who have completed am intermediate course and have an understanding of intermediate level technique. This class progresses from an beginning-advanced level to an advanced-advanced level.
Steps: Triple pirouette, fouetté turns, tour jeté, second jump, pull backs and traveling time step.
Teen: General Level
Teen classes without a stated level are a general beginning-intermediate level classes.
Girls leotards: solid color, any style.
Girls tights: pink or flesh colors.
Guys tops: fitted tee or tank.
Guys bottoms: black tights, biker shorts, athletic legging (outerwear).
Ballet shoes (leather or canvas): girls (pink); guys (black), with elastic sewn in place.
No sweat clothes, or cover-ups can be worn when taking class.
Hair must be pulled back from face and off of neck in a pony-tail. Ballet buns are not required.
No Jewelry or watches.
Jazz and Contemporary
Top: any colored fitted top.
Bottom: Tights, leggings, biker shorts, yoga pants, fitted athletic pants or shorts (above knee).
Shoes: Jazz shoe, flexible sneaker, foot undies, or bare-foot.
Hip Hop and Jazz Funk
Style appropriate clothing and shoes.
Top: any colored fitted dance top.
Bottom: leggings, biker shorts, yoga pants, fitted athletic pants or shorts (above knee).
Shoes: Tap shoes (black).
TUITION & FEES
Annual Registration Fee
Individual registration: $40
Family registration (2 or more dancers): $40 first dancer, $15 per additional dancer
10% Tuition Discount for yearly tuition paid in full at the start of the school year.
Summer Dance rates vary depending on the program and are available closer to the summer sessions.
Enrollment and Attendance
1. To attend, participant must be an active Academy member with paid annual registration fee.
2. Enroll in one or more courses per week creating your class schedule for the school year.
3. A student evaluation/placement class may be required and/or recommendation. The program manager makes all final determinations as to student placement.
4. To enroll, return a completed registration form with payment of annual registration fee and first month of tuition.
5. Enrollment is limited to 30 students per course.
6. Classes are 55-minutes in length.
7. Courses with insufficient enrollment may not be held, or they may be held as walk-in classes. Priority of enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis and for those who register for the full year.
8. Class waiting-lists are available.
9. Walk-in enrollment is available when class attendance is less than and up to 30 dancers. Walk-in enrollment is done similar to open-class procedures. Do not use School Year registration form for walk-in enrollment.
10. Enroll separately on-line for master classes and workshops.
11. Class transfers are available at select times.
12. Enrollment is open until courses are full, regardless of the course start date.
13. When attending class, sign-in for each class at our front desk.
14. Teen company members are required to attend a minimum of 4 courses per week (ballet required), company class, masterclasses and workshops.
15. If a dancer is signed-up for a full course and has not attended the class for 3 consecutive weeks without an approved request or payment to maintain his or her space in the class, the dancer may be dropped from a class without a refund or credit of tuition paid or owed.
16. EDGE reserves the right to require dancers sit out of class or classes, and forfeit the ability to make-up these classes, if their account has outstanding balances for any charge and for community standards violations.
Make Up Policy
1. Missed classes can be made-up in a class of the same level or lower or same age range within one-month from the date the class was missed after which time they expire.
2. Make-up classes are not transferrable.
3. No credits or refunds are given for missed classes after their expiration date (one month). It is the dancers’ responsibility to keep track of the classes they miss and their expiration dates.
4. To make-up a class, sign-in at the front desk and receive a make-up slip to give to the teacher. Before issuing the make-up slip, an EDGE representative will verify that the make-up class is available.
5. Classes missed due to Memorial Day, Independence Day and Thanksgiving closures are available to be made-up within one-month from the date they were scheduled to be held.
Class Withdrawal and Transfer
1. Request for a Class Withdrawal or Transfer is completed in-person or by email, by submitting a signed Class Withdrawal or Transfer form. The effective date will vary depending on the specific request. A confirmation notice is provided that states the request effective dates. Withdrawals and transfers are not available over the phone.
2. Class Withdrawal may be done at any time, but classes not withdrawn from before the 1st of the month will be charged for the full month tuition.
3. Non-attendance is not considered a valid request or notice to withdraw from a class.
Withdrawal from the Academy
1. Dancers may withdrawal from the Academy by submitting an Academy Withdrawal form. After EDGE receives the request, the withdrawal may become effective the following month or immediately depending on monthly tuition paid. Academy Membership and privileges will discontinue on the Academy Withdrawal effective date.
2. Dancers who withdraw and have paid the current month’s tuition can continue in class until the 1st day of the following month. Dancers who have not paid the current month’s tuition are withdrawn immediately. No credit, refund or transfer of tuition is available for dancers who withdraw and who pay tuition monthly.
Student Records, Authorizations
1. Student records are confidential and restricted. Authorization to access student records is granted to the parent or legal guardian responsible for the student account and those listed within the account during registration. To change authorization, Parent or legal guardian must submit a Change Authorization form and receive a confirmation. EDGE accepts no responsibility for violations.
2. By registering, you agree your unidentifiable student data may be used By EDGE and third-parties we work with for analytical and marketing purposes. The use of student data by EDGE and/or third-parties may be restricted by submitting a Non-disclosure of Student Data form. Except for internal use, student data does not include information that would identify or associate it with a specific student account.
1. Pay your full tuition at the start of the school year and receive a discount, or you can choose to make monthly payments (9 mon payments) with auto-pay or other payment.
2. Tuition fees are due upon registration. Monthly tuition is due on the 1st of each month. Auto-debit accounts are charged on the 5th day of the month. A $10.00 late fee is charged for monthly tuition payments made after the 15th of the month.
3. Payment is required, or may be required, to reserve attendance for a class, master class or workshop.
4. Tuition fees for visiting students may include an additional fee.
5. Monthly tuition charges are based on the entire school year (September through June) that is billed in nine monthly payments from through May.
6. Academy breaks and vacations, such as Winter break, do not include classes and are not included in tuition. No discount, credit or refund is available for Academy breaks and vacations.
7. See Make Up Policies for classes during Memorial Day, Independence Day and Thanksgiving closures.
8. No credit, transfer or refund is given for expired classes.
9. Master Class and Workshop fees are paid for individually and are non-refundable.
10. There is no pro-rated tuition for missed classes, holidays or program breaks.
11. Approved make-up classes expire one-month from the date they were missed or scheduled to be held.
12. Refunds are available for yearly tuition that is paid in full at the beginning of the school during the first three (3) months of the school year (only), unless for an approved medical or relocation event. The refund amount is the remaining tuition, minus the current month and any previous month, plus a $150 administrative fee. Refunds are made to the Payee of tuition within 45 days after a cancellation or withdrawal is authorized by EDGE.
Payment, Billing and Fees
1. A credit card is kept on file for all students regardless of the payment choices. This card will be used for auto-payments and past due charges. Tuition can be paid by cash, check, debit card or credit card. When paying by check, include the student’s name and what the payment is for on the check. We accept debit and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover).
2. Payment by mail must be postmarked by any due date.
3. Tuition payments, other than auto-payments, must be made by the 5th of each month or the credit card on file will be charged for the monthly payment.
4. A late fee of $10.00 is charged for tuition paid after the 15th of the month.
5. There is a $25.00 fee for all returned checks.
6. Showcase performance and costume fees are payable by the due dates. Fees and other outstanding balances on the student’s account must be paid in full to participate in the Showcase, receive costumes and pre-ordered tickets to the showcase.
7. Annual registration, showcase, intensive, workshop and costumes fees are non-refundable.
8. Monthly statements are not provided unless otherwise requested. Sent by email only.
9. Mail payments to: EDGE Performing Arts Center, 6300 Romaine Street, Suite 100 Los Angeles, CA 90038
1. Monthly tuition can be automatically debited from a credit card on the 5th day of each month.
2. Auto debit authorization forms are available at the front desk or on our website.
3. Customers utilizing Auto Debit whose credit card transaction is not approved, may be charged a $10.00 late fee if paid after the 15th of the month.
4. You must separately authorize non-tuition charges (Eshop, Showcase, costume fees).
5. Customer must submit a new auto debit form each year.
Missed classes for short term illnesses and injuries can made-up under the same conditions as other missed classes. However, if it is an injury or illness that a physician has suggested the student be limited from physical activity, the student must provide a doctor’s note to hold their space in the classes without be charged. Additionally, the ill or injured student must be cleared by a physician (in writing) to return to dance. No refunds or credits will be given for injuries after the student is authorized to return to class.
Parents, friends and siblings are NOT allowed in classrooms during class. This rule helps students keep focused without distraction. Each studio has observations windows for viewing. Observers are not allowed to interact with students in class or video any class.
EDGE provides validated parking while studying, rehearsing and performing at the studio. Bring your parking slip with you to have validated at our front desk. Parking without validation is charged at the posted parking rates.
Studio policies apply to all students. Please review Studio policies.
6300 Romaine Street, Suite 100
Los Angeles, CA 90038
P: (323) 962-7733
© EDGE PERFORMING ARTS CENTER All rights reserved. ® Registered trademarks the "e" logo, EDGE Performing Arts Center; Salesmark, "L.A.'s Dance Center".